Sunday, November 16, 2014



For my extended essay, I have chosen to extend the paper that I feel I can talk about the most.  The paper can have so much good qualities if the time was taken to write and revise it.  The paper that I have chosen to extend more is the one that I personally chose to write which talks about high school, and how social media portrays it as something different. I already included the movie Mean Girls because I found it as a perfect example to use because it had plenty of examples that I needed.  Other examples that I thought about using are certain movies such as Never Been Kissed and Superstar.  These movies also help media portray high school as something evil and show other students what the expectations are like in high school.  A quote that came to my mind, which I though was a perfect example from Never Been Kissed is a quote from the character Rob Geller, “All you need is for one person to think you're cool, and you're in. Everyone else will be scared to question it”.  These kind of quotes give a perfect example of what children and teenagers will be looking forward to when they hit the high school age.  I wanted to talk about how they’ll (social media) uses these things and put images in their (teenagers) head to let being popular become the number one priority.  Overall, my goal is getting my point across and expanding my ideas and opinions onto this paper that I have chosen to extend.

5 comments:

  1. It looks like you have some nice examples of movies but if you were interested maybe you could check out 'Cyberbully' I think it would be fitting to your topic because it shows the effects of social media on teens lives. Good luck (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Amy! I think you have a great start! "Never Been Kissed" is a perfect movie to reference and I think the quote will fit in your essay perfectly. Some good key words you can use are High School movies, popularity, nerds, outcasts, social media, teens and social media. Good luck! I am sure you will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have great examples and I think you chose good movies to relate to. Some other movies you can take a look at are Breakfast Club or the movie "Cyber Bully." To get your point across maybe you can compare and contrast how social media can have a positive and negative effect on teenagers. Some key phrases you can use to search for your paper are; Positive and negative effect of social media, troubled teens and social networks, cyber stalking and bullying.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I think that it is great that you have included "Mean Girls" into your essay. Secondly, you idea to additionally include "Superstar" and "Never Been Kissed" will fulfill the needs to analyze your topic successfully. A key phrase that you could add to your list could be "teens attachment to social networking". Great ideas, and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great plan and the comments here are very helpful. I would also suggest looking at TV that depicts teen life (Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, the old 90210, etc.). Is there a difference between how teens are portrayed in film vs. tv? How realistic do you find these portrayals to be? I would find other sources on teens in media and cliques/ teen identity in real life.

    ReplyDelete